Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tribal Marks

Fine Art (and Secondary School, as a whole) seems a lifetime away. And it is. Several actually, going by my "nephew and niece count" in between. I remember back in my SS1 taking a class on Ife Art, and that's when I found out scarification was used as a kind of tribal identikit. Kind of like H-factor for (some) Yorubas and pomposity for (a good number of) Ibos. Of course all this is going somewhere. I took out my weave sunday night and, in a bid to keep my naturality under wraps and still fulfil my employment obligations come monday, I did my head up in a "malo wrap". Coincidentally, the Saharan dust blew into town sunday night, so the whole wrap thing kept me and my hair tres happy. Tuesday saw an encore (yes, I was really feeling myself, and Mama lurves the new look) with favorable reviews, so I settled into it and started arranging my wardrobe around pashmina-colours available to me. Today I've been chatted up by an Aliyu, vocally appreciated by a Muhktar + one other, and generally eyed-up by some babariga-wearing clientelle (not to mention one dodgy Ibo man who started up pleading his case by trying to "help" me out with a proper job in my field. *eye-roooolllll* I'll save that one for a later day).

So my question is,
1) if I'm being chatted up on the basis of my appearance, why is my name not a deterrant? Considering I rapidly reveal myself to be not northern/muslim. Or does it just fall under Try-Your-Luck at that point?

2) Surely, I picked up one skill from Mx (if not a language) - a not so shabby wrap, eh?

No comments: