Saturday, May 8, 2010

Shylock Knew Why He Was The Way He Was

At this point in my life, I reckon that the most uncomfortable situation I've found myself in is owing people for extended periods of time. What could be more embarrassing than having to avoid someone repeatedly, or continually give what can only be perceived as excuse after excuse, for why you have not paid up by the time you promised you would? Which is why I would rather have next to no money for myself and pay off any outstandings - even if its a tiny bit at a time.

As life would have it, no man is an island. Therefore, people will ALWAYS be there to throw a wrench in your works and ruin your plans. Put you in awkard situations and make you seem a dodgy and dishonest person. The way I see it, this will go beyond the present, and affect your credit records, because the next time some situation comes up, no one will be willing to part with anything on your behalf. As embarrassing as having to owe a person for ages, is the vexation, annoyance and extreme inconvenience of having someone/people owe you money for extended periods of time with no seeming plans of paying you back.

The result of this equation? An strong disinclination to assist anyone monetarily beyond what you are comfortable with letting go altogether. But what is one to do in a situation where what you can let go is not actually going to do anything for their cause? Doing that is just to ease your conscience, and really, all you're doing is getting the person off your back.

My possible solution? Involve God from the get-go and pray that it all works out evenly in the end. Hoping of course that the end is sooner rather than later.
And thus, I find myself waiting outside someone's house, going on an hour-and-a-half, waiting to return money.

God is great.

No comments: